APP Psychiatry Fellowship
The Community-Focused Psychiatry Fellowship for Advanced Practice Providers seeks to support the transition from APP student to provider and promote the highest level of evidence-based care to patients.
Benefits of the Program:
- On-site continuing education programs
- Annual stipend (paid bi-weekly)
- Dedicated CME funds
- Training in consult-liaison psychiatry, emergency psychiatry, outpatient clinic, partial hospitalization, and inpatient units including adolescent, adult, and the local commitment alternative unit.
- Experience working with a large multi-disciplinary team
- Participation in research and quality improvement initiatives
The Community-Focused Psychiatry Fellowship for Advanced Practice Providers is a 12-month paid post-graduate training program for licensed psychiatric nurse practitioners and physician assistants. The fellowship focuses on the delivery of high-level psychiatric care at the community level. The fellowship is comprised of two separate but collaborative programs, the PMHNP Fellowship (program director Julie Durand MSN, APRN, PMHNP-BC) and PA Psychiatry Residency (program director Emily Elkins MPAS, PA-C). These programs are collectively referred to as the Community-Focused Psychiatry Fellowship for Advanced Practice Providers, with NP Durand and PA Elkins serving as co-directors. The program is housed within the department of Behavioral Health and Psychiatry at JPS Health Network, a partner with Acclaim Physician Group
APP fellows are contracted for 12 months with Acclaim. At the completion of the program, full time positions may be offered depending on department needs and fellow performance.
- Up to 4 fellows are accepted per cycle, with cycles occurring annually.
- Fellows participate in a continuity clinic throughout the year.
- Fellows spend three months training in each rotation site (inpatient units, partial hospitalization program, consult-liaison service, and psychiatric emergency room).
- Fellows attend didactics twice per week for four-hour blocks.
- Fellows participate in a structured mentorship program.
- Leadership is promoted through committee and quality improvement project participation.
- Fellows attend didactics twice per week for four-hour blocks on Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings.
- Fellows join physician residency lectures for ethics, wellbeing, patient safety, quality, psychopharmacology topics.
- Diagnostics, clinical decision making, and psychopharmacology review are incorporated into every week
- Incremental assessments will be included throughout the year.
- Graduation from either an ARC accredited PA program OR graduation from a nationally accredited PMHNP program (ie CCNE)
- Valid and unencumbered licensure as a PMHNP or PA
- Unrestricted DEA certificate
- If you are a current JPS Health Network Employee, you must not be under any disciplinary action or on a performance improvement plan.
To be considered for the Acclaim Psychiatry APP Fellowship program, you must submit an application along with all required documentation below during an open application time frame. When submitting your online application, you will also need to attach all of the following documentation for your application to be considered complete:
- Curriculum Vitae with professional work history, education, and clinical rotations.
- Work history must include dates (month and year), status (full time, part time, etc)
- Clinical rotations must include the location, dates, # of hours completed, and your preceptors name and title.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts (Unofficial copy from schools’ website is acceptable)
- Letter of recommendation from a prior employer or your educational program.
- Essay Responses (There is no required length for the following responses. Please type your responses and include them on a separate document. There does not need to be a separate document for each response.
- Please describe your most meaningful health related experience that has led you to seek a career in behavioral health. Be sure to include the value of your experiences that prepare you to be a psychiatric advanced practice provider.
- Please describe your personal characteristics (background, talents, skills, etc.) that would add to treatment teams.
- Please describe any past academic recognition (significant academic honors, awards, scholarships or other academic recognition), leadership (Leadership roles or positions of responsibility) and community service activities (Non-health care related community service or volunteer activities).
What Happens After I Apply?:
- Once your application is complete and required documents are submitted, we will notify you. If you are selected to move forward in the process, we will reach out to you regarding next steps.
- If you are not selected to move forward, you will be notified through email.
- Questions? Please email Jdurand@jpshealth.org or EElkins@jpshealth.org
Upcoming Application Cycle
- The next application period will open in March 2023
- Interviews: April 2023
- Anticipated Start: September 2023 (tentative)
***Dates are subject to change***
The Community-Focused Psychiatry Fellowship for Advanced Practice Providers is accredited as a Practice Transition Program by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation in Practice Transition Programs.
The Community-Focused Psychiatry Fellowship for Advanced Providers at Acclaim Physician Group, a partner with JPS Health Network is recognized by the ANCC Practice Transition Accreditation Program® (PTAP) as an Industry-Recognized Apprenticeship Programs (IRAP).
The Community-Focused Psychiatry Fellowship for Advanced Practice Providers is a member of the Accreditation of Postgraduate PA Programs (APPAP), an organization that serves as a resource for postgraduate education for physician assistants.
To enhance the knowledge and practice of new graduate nurse practitioners, and to create compassionate, high-quality, and patient-centered providers.
Acclaim Physician Group and the JPS Department of Family Medicine aspire to foster the education of new graduate FNPs resulting in increased proficiency, confidence, and understanding of the unique population within the community health setting as they transition into their new roles as providers. By offering an exceptional educational experience, Acclaim, a partner with JPS Health Network will expand the mission to "transform healthcare delivery for the communities we serve" while ensuring a culture of accountability, transparency, quality, and performance improvement.
Benefits of the program
- On-site continuing education programs
- Dedicated CME funds
- Supplemental training in basic and advanced family practice care topics
- Experience working in community health center settings
- Participation in research activities
A 12-month post-masters training program for licensed nurse practitioners to transition from bedside nurses to advanced practice providers. FNP Residents are contracted for 12 months with Acclaim. At the completion of the program, full time positions may be offered depending on staffing needs and Resident performance.
- Each clinical FNP residency can have up to 4 residents.
- Residents will rotate through four of our JPS community health clinics throughout Tarrant County for ongoing training and exposure to a diverse patient population with a wide variety of healthcare needs.
- Residents will perform clinical duties in four different JPS clinics for a period of three months each.
- A four week orientation will be provided by an experienced Preceptor at first clinical site.
- Residents will then begin to supplement panel needs independently with extended time slots for patient encounters.
- Remaining clinic sites will allow for one work week of orientation to become accustomed to clinic specific protocols, expectation, work flow, etc.
- After one week orientation Residents will resume independent patient panels with extended times slots.
- Specialty Clinic Rotations:
- Throughout the clinic rotations, Residents will have their schedule blocked to allow for specialty clinic rotation.
- Clinic rotations may include: Cardiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedics, Pain Management, Podiatry, Psychiatry, Surgery, Surgical Optimization Clinic.
- For the first six months, Residents will dedicate one day per week to educational sessions designed to further develop and guide critical thinking skills and decision making as a provider.
- Program will combine multiple didactic components ranging from presentations to hands-on specialized training to allow for all educational needs to be met.
- Specific areas of the residency will share educational programs with the Family Medicine Residents to allow for collaboration and unity with our advanced practice providers.
- Process/quality improvement project required for completion of program.
Anticipated Start Date of Residency: Late October 2022
The application period is currently closed for 2022. The next open application period will be in May 2023.
- Graduate of a Master of Science in Nursing from an accredited program by May 31 of the program year.
- Valid APRN and FNP license in the state of TX or successful completion of FNP boards by June 30 of the program year.
- No previous APRN practice experience.
- Valid and unencumbered Texas RN licensure.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a registered nurse.
- If you are a current JPS Health Network Employee you must not be under any disciplinary action or on a performance improvement plan.
Please read the information below carefully to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
Once the application period opens:
Current JPS RN’s MUST submit the online application from the JPS intranet. Go to the JPS intranet, Human Resources, Internal Career Opportunities, and then search for the Acclaim FNP Residency position.
External candidates should submit an online application on the JPS Careers Page. The link will be posted during the open application period.
To be considered for the Acclaim FNP Residency program, you must submit an application along with all required documentation during the acceptance time frame. If you do not submit everything before the deadline, you will NOT be considered for the program. This position will only be listed during the open application time frame.
When submitting your online application, you will also need to attach all of the following documentation for your application to be considered:
- CV/Resume with professional work history (RN experience), education, and all FNP clinical rotations.
1. Work history must include dates (month and year), status (full time, part time, etc) and unit or clinic details (ICU Med-Surg, CHC, etc.)
2. Clinical Rotations must include the Location, Dates, # of hours completed, and your preceptors name and title.
1. What attributes do you possess that will aid in your successful completion of the residency program and ongoing practice as an APP at Acclaim?
2. In what areas do you want to increase mastery/competence over the course of the residency program?
- Official or unofficial transcript from an accredited Master of Science in Nursing degree program, the transcript must reflect degree awarded.
- A Word document with a minimum of three (3) references. You must include their name, location and email address.
1. Clinical Preceptors (2 responses required).
2. Current Nursing Supervisor (1 response required). If not currently working, most recent supervisor will be accepted.
If you have submitted all of the required documentation, your references will receive a link to complete a reference online within 48 business hours. Completed references must be received by end of the business day on May 25th or your application will be considered incomplete.
Applications and additional documents will not be accepted outside of the open application period.
What happens after I apply?
Once your application is complete and required references have been collected, we will notify you. If you are selected to move forward in the process, we will reach out to you regarding next steps.
If you are not selected to move forward, you will be notified through email.
Questions? Please email APPResidency@jpshealth.org.
*** Any dates posted may change at any time***
The Acclaim Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program at Acclaim Physician Group, a partner with JPS Health Network is recognized by the ANCC Practice Transition Accreditation Program® (PTAP) as an Industry-Recognized Apprenticeship Programs (IRAP).