Acclaim Street Medicine
You, a loved one, or a neighbor experiencing homelessness may get medical services from a caring professional through Acclaim Street Medicine. This program from Acclaim Physician Group meets unsheltered Tarrant County residents where they are — because everyone deserves high-quality healthcare.
What’s Acclaim Street Medicine?
Acclaim Physician Group is committed to meeting the basic medical needs of people who are homeless. Acclaim Street Medicine:
- Became the first program of its kind in Tarrant County, Texas, in 2014
- Is the first street medicine program in the U.S. to offer a family medicine residency to train the next generation of physicians to care for this unique patient population
Who Can Get Care?
You deserve empathetic care and support from experienced professionals who understand your situation. You can get care through Acclaim Street Medicine if you:
- Are a homeless adult
- Have trouble accessing traditional medical services
Services We Offer
Acclaim Street Medicine offers primary care services. Primary care is the routine, day-to-day medical care you need to stay healthy and prevent or manage health problems. Your primary care provider can also help you access other healthcare services that are right for you.
During Your Appointment
Your healthcare provider can:
- Perform a physical examination (check-up)
- Treat minor illnesses and injuries, including wounds
- Provide certain adult vaccinations, such as the flu shot
- Offer health education, answer questions, and listen to any concerns you have
- Perform lab tests, ultrasound scans, or order additional testing if needed
- Provide screening tests or make referrals for:
- Cervical, colon, breast, or lung cancer
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Diagnose and help you manage chronic (long-term) conditions, such as:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Heart failure
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Mental health concerns, such as anxiety and depression
- Prescribe medications
- Provide care for addiction or dependency to drugs or alcohol, including through medication-assisted treatment of opiates or alcohol
- Connect you to a Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH), a place where you can get long-term primary care
- Help you schedule appointments with other healthcare providers or at other facilities
- Help you determine if you’re eligible for assistance and fill out paperwork for a program called JPS Cares, which can help you access additional types of healthcare
- Provide follow-up care if you recently left a hospital or got care from a JPS Health Network doctor
Mobile Medical Unit
Do You Offer Non-Medical Services?
The Acclaim Street Medicine team focuses on healthcare. We are not able to provide you with housing or assist with paperwork for Social Security disability claims. But we can connect you with other organizations that specialize in helping people who are homeless:
- Find housing or temporary shelter
- Recover lost or stolen identification (ID)
Visit the Tarrant County Homeless Coalition website to learn about local resources for people experiencing homelessness.
Get care in a welcoming, hygienic environment — the Acclaim Street Medicine mobile medical unit. Our care setting and services are portable, so we can go where we’re needed.
You’ll appreciate how we’re able to offer everything our providers need to care for you the same way they would at a traditional clinic. The mobile medical unit offers:
- Private appointment area for exams and procedures
- Wi-Fi hotspots so we can access and document your medical records
- Lab services (such as blood tests)
- Ultrasound machine
Expect compassionate care from helpful, friendly professionals. The Acclaim Street Medicine team includes medical, behavioral health, and community health specialists with experience caring for patients who are homeless in Tarrant County.
Benefit from our long-term relationships with local health and social service agencies. This means we’ll help you access the community services that are right for you and help make sure your experience across the different organizations is as smooth as possible.